Photo: archive of inventors/Institute of materials and machine mechanics SAS and Institute of electrical engineering SAS
Novel ultra-lightweight superconductive wire based on magnesium diboride MgB2
core stabilized with unique aluminum (Al) composite sheath. The Al composite material consists of ultrafine-grained Al stabilized and strengthened with nanoscale alumina (Al2
) particles and meets all demanding and contradictory requirements placed on the sheath material of MgB2
core superconductor wire.
- economically meaningful fabrication process which is feasible at a large scale;
- significantly lower mass of the superconductor (at least 2.5 – 3 times less) than the standard solutions based on NbTi, Nb3Sn and MgB2 core with an outer copper (Cu) sheath;
- excellent combination of mechanical properties of the superconductor at room and cryogenic temperatures provided by the HITEMAL® sheath;
- good superconducting electrical properties and thermal conductivity.
Use of technology
- for technical solutions with moving and rotating parts, for example in transport and power applications, superconducting wind generators, in aerospace, train engines, in superconducting levitation drives, in space program as active shielding of human crew from cosmic radiation.
Protection of intellectual property
- Patent applications: (SK) (EP), CN, US
- Registered trademark: (SK)