Photo: illustrative/Mgr. Natália Feriančeková
Innovative antimicrobial recombinant protein EN534-C with lytic properties against pathogenic strains of Streptococcus agalactiae
. EN534-C specifically binds to the substrate ligand of the bacteria peptidoglycan via the binding domain, and subsequently, by the enzymatic activity of the lytic domains, the chemical bond in the peptidoglycan of the bacterial cell wall is cleaved.
- high specificity;
- low probability of bacterial resistance;
- avoidance of negative side effects associated with the administration of antibiotics;
- reduction of risk of developing resistance to therapeutic phages;
- reduction of antibiotic consumption;
- the isolated protein is thermally stable in the temperature range from 20 °C to 37 °C and can be isolated at room temperature; this also reduces the energy requirements for the recombinant protein isolation in industrial use.
Use of technology
- mainly for the treatment, prevention or diagnosis of diseases caused by pathogenic bacteria Streptococcus agalactiae (GBS);
- application in the case of multi-resistant streptococcal infections, not only in pregnant women and newborns, but also in other adults;
- great potential also in treatment of vaginal bacteremia and urogenital infections, and in applications and treatment of non-healing wounds and venous ulcers infected with streptococci;
- potential for use also in the veterinary ¬field, e.g. for the treatment of mastitis or superficial infections in animals;
- isolated preparation of EN534-C can be also used for decontamination of surfaces and as a surface cleaning agent.
Protection of intellectual property